Spiritual Direction has roots deep in Christianity. In more recent years, that has been a practice for seminarians who are questing to stay accountable for their own spiritual integrity as they lead others on the spiritual path.
It has expanded, thankfully so! You don’t need to be one who is working toward being a minister. You only have to be you.
Some statements, questions or situations which bring people to a spiritual director are:
- I feel separated from God
- I am sensing some leading but its not clear to me how to proceed with my life
- I have a major life change to make and would like help sorting through it all
- I want to be a powerful praying person, but I lack the discipline
- I think I am moving beyond the church experience of my childhood
- Does God belong to just one denomination or religious tradition?
- I believe in angels but no one around me does and I need some support
- I would like to explore spirituality beyond traditional religion
- I want to explore the realm of Sacredness beyond traditional methods
As you can see, people who hold to a traditional faith but want to go deeper seek out spiritual direction. Persons who long to enter the mystery of the Divine in new ways seek out spiritual direction.
What questions do YOU have?
How is God/The Divine/Sacred Spirit leading you?
What you can expect to experience in spiritual direction with me, is a dedicated time to listen to the movements of God in your life. This is about YOU and the Divine. I serve as an invested listener. What I listen for are patterns in your story telling and self revealing.
But more, I am listening to the Sacred during our time together. I don’t know exactly how it all works, but as you speak and I listen, I am able to tune in to the undertones of your sharing, the real questions that lurk beneath the acceptable questions.
Sometimes, I’ll see colors, or hear a word, or be provided with an image or metaphor to share with you. I know, because of my own spiritual practice, that the Holy is moving in these moments for your highest good. It is a deeply connecting happening. You might be urged during this time toward self care, or to face a hard task ahead, or that God loves you as you are and as you are becoming.
It is the part of you that is becoming, that I am true to. We are all evolving beings, and the path can be clear and it can be a muddle. In my own life, all it takes is a simple word or observation from a trusted spiritual direction and I immediately see the way clear. It is an incredible experience. And this is where God resides.
It is my belief that our very human experience is for a reason. I don’t always know that reason. But I trust God to lead and show and be there. I have witnessed the coming to awareness that some experience. And it is beautiful.
I hope to walk with you along the way.
To your awakening!